Thursday 6 June 2013

Raw Lemon Cream Cake with a crunchy "Cacao-Nut" base + blogging and other fun information

Raw Lemon Cream Cake with a crunchy "Cacao-Nut" base 


 
This might seem unusual as the general theme of my posts is "the recipe" and not much else. I might talk on a bit about how absolutely happy I am with a particular dish or maybe about how amazing it tasted but I generally don't go much further than that. Let's get serious for a moment though - this post represents something special for me. I don't even know if anyone will read it and even more-so if anyone will care, but I have come to the conclusion that this blog provides me with a wonderful opportunity to reach an incredible number of people - if I use it properly!
 
I see so many wonderful blogs out there which seem to have such a huge following and the bloggers behind those blogs seem to be extremely highly regarded by their readers. I then see some other people whose lives (and sometimes income) revolve around their blog and writing about their passion, which in most cases is "health and wellbeing" as those are the blogs I take interest in.
 
 
(Just to remind you that there is a recipe below :P)

 
As a person who participates in the dreaded "daily grind" of travelling for way too long in too much traffic for a 5 day a week, full-time job, I feel that I am wasting something. It seems that too many of us are happy to just go along with the "norm" and fit in with the expectation that once our studies are complete, we go to work to earn money, regardless of whether we actually enjoy what we do.
 
I am an Accredited Exercise Physiologist by training and completed a 3.5 year university degree to attain that qualification. In an ideal world I would have come straight out of uni and landed a wonderful job making change for the elderly in a Cardiac Rehabilitation Clinic or improving someone's quality of life by guiding them through the development of new healthy eating and exercise habits and subsequently reducing their body fat percentage and/or their blood glucose levels. Unfortunately the job did not fall into my lap and I ended up doing something that has many many positive points, but does not allow me to fulfill my passion.
 
Why? Because in today's society it is essential for a young person to earn enough money to begin earning and collecting assets.
 
Today I came to the conclusion that I am "living a selfish life". Yeah, I feel that I am kind and helpful to everyone I come across, I do go out of my way to avoid offending or inconveniencing people and I definitely will make someone's day easier if the opportunity presents itself.. but who am I to go to work every day in a job that really does not impact the wider population nor require the full extent of the skills I developed at uni, simply so that I can earn money for my own personal gains.
 
Why should we all participate in the "norm"? Why don't we challenge ourselves by taking a chance and testing the boundaries. People say that "if you love your job, you wont work a day in your life", so why on earth don't we all love our jobs?
 
I'm not telling you to quit your job today and expect to be a professional sportsperson or a TV presenter tomorrow, but just think about it! Think about what your true passion might be and consider the crazy thought that maybe it isn't impossible to make a job out of it! I truly believe that anything is possible if you put your mind to it and work hard.
 
All of the above leads me to the point I should have made many many lines back. I have decided that I want to share my passion for health, food, self-love and the fact that self worth is the secret to living a healthy balanced life. I have already managed to reach a few thousand wonderful people through Instagram, who are interested in healthy food and finding ways to eat a healthy yet interesting and delicious diet.
 
I would love to eventually, dedicate my days to contributing to the empowerment of the population of Australia and the world in order to improve the health of everyone in it. If I can share my knowledge and ideas through (firstly) blog posts and eventually: books, seminars etc. then I will be one happy lady.

So this is me > and from today, I will be working towards making my passion my job. I am not 100% sure how just yet, but I have a few ideas - and I guess that's how things get done.


If I can do it, you can do - so I will try my best and hopefully one day we call all live our dreams :).
 
If any of you have any feedback or requests on things/topics/information/recipes that you would enjoy reading, please do contact me below. All information and requests are welcome. Anyone who reads my blog is now a part of my journey to creating my new self-generated and self-sustained career.
 
OK! In case some of you came to this page JUST for the recipe to my Raw Lemon Cream Cake with a crunchy "Cacao-Nut" base,  yes I will finally post it below. This recipe came to me after seeing some amazing raw creations online and then having way too much time in the traffic on my way home from work to consider how I might develop this cake.
 
Raw Lemon Cream Cake with a crunchy "Cacao-Nut" base
 
Ingredients
 

Base

150g raw unsalted cashews
1/2 cup raw almonds
1 tbs Cacao
6 fresh medjool dates
1/2 tbs raw almond butter
1/4 cup coconut oil

Chocolate layer

4 tbs coconut oil
2 tbs cacao
2 tsp almond extract
4 tbs desiccated coconut

Lemon "cream" layer

150g raw unsalted cashews
1/4 cup coconut oil
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tbs honey (I used Organic Australian Rainforest Honey)

Method

Line a cake tin with plastic wrap.

In three separate stages (crust then chocolate later then lemon "cream" layer), combine the ingredients in each list in a food processor, cleaning the processor between each use.

As the layers are processed, place them in order (crust on the bottom then chocolate later then lemon "cream" layer on top) into the cake tin. Press down each layer firmly on top of the one/s below in order to make sure they press together.

Sprinkle with dessicated coconut (or other toppings) if desired then place in the fridge for at least 20-30 minutes. The cake does not need to be frozen to become solid enough to slice however you can place it in the freezer if you want it to cool quicker.

Remove the cake carefully from the tin by pulling the plastic wrap out slowly and equally on both sides. If this does not happen easily, the cake may need to cool for longer in the fridge or freezer as the base with be the most first part of the cake and will provide stability when removing.

The lemon in the top layer of this cake gives it a super fresh and light flavor. I would not have thought that it would go so well with a cacao base!

Give it a go!

Enjoy x

Ps. I apologise once again for the ridiculously long lecture length blog post! I do hope that at least some of you were interested and/or found it useful in some way :).

1 comment: